During their attempts to lose weight, people resort to following popular diets such as the keto diet and the Mediterranean diet, but identifying the most beneficial sources of protein on this journey will make the task easier than you can imagine.
According to nutritionist Michelle Rauch, it is advised to limit processed protein sources, which contain a high percentage of saturated fats such as cold cuts, bacon and sausages.
The following is a comparison between the most common types of meat in terms of calories, fat and protein:
- The chest weighs approximately 186, contains 281 calories, 52 grams of protein, 6.1 grams of fat, and 0 grams of carbohydrates.
- Skinless thigh weighing approximately 186 grams contains 305 calories, 42 grams of protein, and 14 grams of fat.
- In comparison, breasts seem to have higher protein levels compared to lower fat percentages.
- Grilled steak, weighing approximately 186 grams, contains 460 calories, 42 grams of protein, 32 grams of fat, and 0 grams of carbohydrates.
- Minced beef hamburger weighing approximately 186 grams contains: 460 calories, 42 grams of protein, 32 grams of fat.
- Rauch recommends limiting your intake of red meat if you’re trying to lose weight, and compared to the fat content of chicken, beef’s fat content is significantly higher.
- Salmon weighing approximately 186 contains: 216 calories, 35 grams of protein, 7.5 grams of fat, 0 grams of carbohydrates.
- Cod fish, weighing approximately 186 grams, contains: 136 calories, 30 grams of protein, 1.5 grams of fat, and 0 grams of carbohydrates.
- Tilapia weighing approximately 186 pounds contains: 163 calories, 34 grams of protein, 3 grams of fat, and 0 grams of carbohydrates.
- Canned tuna weighing approximately 186 grams contains: 197 calories, 43 grams of protein, 1.4 grams of fat, and 0 grams of carbohydrates.
- Fish is another excellent source of protein, and the fats in fish come in the form of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids.
How much protein should you eat per day?
Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all recommendation for how much protein you should eat per day on a weight loss diet.
“The recommended daily amount of protein is determined by several factors, including but not limited to: weight, activity level, age, and muscle mass,” Rauch explains.
He adds: The estimated estimated requirement for protein is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight per day.